New to the Job? Or did your station just hire on a Probie? Either way- you need to learn about your newest coworker. Firefighter’s risk their lives and you can’t have someone on your team that you don’t trust.
But sitting down and grilling them (or hazing them) is really frowned upon- especially if you’ve ever made somebody quit. Gotta stop being a salty dog and change your tactics!
So when you have all these firefighters together, most of the time they crack inappropriate jokes. Which is funny… the first 50 times. Now you want to get to know your shift (wether they are a bunch of salty dogs or the newest jake), but you don’t know where to start? As great as it is to enjoy some humor, it doesn’t always fit with the needs of the fire department crew.
We’ll avoid the obvious ones that can bring up some weird feelings. Not that you shouldn’t talk about fire tactics, hitting it hard from the yard vs interior, if CBD should be encouraged, and what to do about the public’s perception of the local firefighter who made the news BUT we’ll leave those heavy conversations for another day!
The Fire Life Related Ones
20. Should we bring back firefighter calendars?
And no, it doesn’t have to be all muscle-bob-buff-pants, lots of people are rocking a dad bod. If you don’t believe me just check out instagram.
19. Speaking of Instagram, should firefighters be able to post picture of the job on their personal social media accounts?
Although this is probably more of a generational thing, its still good to talk about. Social media isn’t going away anytime soon.
18. Whats the value in having a station mascot or dog?
Think Fido would help us with the public image.
17. Whats next in terms of training? Do you plan to go back to school or attend any conferences?
Which is a great question to ask, you never know what local training might be available. Never stop training!
16. Did anyone else ever dream of being a firefighter when they were a kid? What caused you to join the fire service.
My Husband actually wanted to be a police officer *gasp!* so that he could follow in the footsteps of his grandfather. Thankfully he wised up and became a firefighter.
15. Car fire, next to a propane tank, next to a hoarders house.
The garage has just caught fire… what’s the best way to tackle this.
14. There’s different leadership styles- which one works best at the fire house?
15 other conversation topics- not Fire related- so you can get to know your shift better
13. If you could go to any country in the world, what would you eat while you were there?
We always talk about what we would see, but what are we supposed to eat. My Husband said his sister ate Mcdonalds chicken nuggets the entire time she was in Russia…
12. What’s your favorite restaurant that most other people don’t go to?
Which is a great question to ask, because firefighters love their food!
11.If you could have any superpower, what would it be.
In case you are wondering, I would like to be invisible or to fly, preferably both.
10. If you won the lottery, what would you do with it? Would you still show up to work the next day?
While rare, it could totally happen. You should probably get it in writing that your shift mate said they would buy you a truck if they won the lottery though.
9. Do you have a secret recipe?
8. What do you do to reduce stress?
7. Do you sleep good when you’re at home? Where do you get the best night sleep at?
6. Whats the most important invention related to our job? It can be equipment or a tactical skill.
5. Whats the craziest thing you’ve ever done for someone you liked romantically?
4. Have you ever regretted a purchase? What did you do about it?
3. What was the best surprise you’ve ever gotten?
2. Do you have any secret talents?
1.If you could only talk on the phone OR text for the rest of your life, which one would you choose.
Hopefully, you can strike up a conversation (and not a match) with these conversation starters- or scare the new guy with your corny jokes.
Seriously, though. The Brotherhood is important- and it’s not dead or gone or bullshit. This job is hard, so we need to have each other’s backs!
If you like what you see, share it.
Or send it to that guy that always makes things awkward with his weird comments, maybe he can get a few fresh ideas.
If you liked this, you’ll love 20 things the Perfect Firefighter Doesn’t want you to know.